For more than a decade, the Alliance for a Healthier Generation has worked to empower kids to develop lifelong, healthy habits, by ensuring the environments that surround them provide and promote good health. The Alliance, founded by the American Heart Association and Clinton Foundation, operates as an independent 501c3 non-profit organization guided by its own Board of Directors. As one of the nation’s largest children’s health organizations focusing on combating childhood obesity, the Alliance utilizes the best available scientific evidence of programs, policies and practices that positively impact healthy eating and physical activity behaviors among youth. The Alliance’s current work directly impacts more than 25 million children, with a focus on low-income and minority populations who are at increased risk for poor health, obesity and other diseases. To learn more and join the movement, visit www.HealthierGeneration.org.
It is the goal of the Alliance to fill employment vacancies with the most qualified applicants, whether recruiting internally or externally. Strong consideration will be given to qualified internal candidates. All internal and external candidates must comply with application requirements.
The Back End Developer is responsible for defining, developing and deploying custom code to deliver high quality, high impact solutions. The Back End Developer ensures reliable, high-performance responses to client-side requests and designs thoughtful APIs to facilitate front-end development efforts. This position is responsible for writing tests and documentation for back-end systems and code, as well as identifying opportunities and strategies for automation of routine tasks.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Responsible for back end development of all web products
· Manage, maintain and update complex custom code in order to increase maintainability, performance and scalability as well as meet business needs
· Build reusable code and libraries for future use
· Integration of user-facing elements with server side logic
· Implementation of security and data protection
· Troubleshoot and fix bugs, implement enhancements
· Provide automated tests and manual QA for new and existing code
· Identify areas for improvement
· Adhere to and ensure compliance with policies, procedures and standards
· Partner with Senior IT Manager in establishing production environment configuration and requirements
· Assist with front end development
· Other duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· Understanding of web performance and coding best practices including object-oriented principles and components
o PHP (advanced)
o SQL (intermediate)
o HTML (intermediate)
o CSS and CSS Preprocessors (intermediate)
o Linux Command-line Interface (intermediate)
o Git (intermediate)
o Web Services (REST), OOP, Error Handling and Web Security (intermediate)
· Experience with web development frameworks such as Laravel
· Knowledge of system architecture, MySQL, Linux
· Strong analytical, QA and debugging skills
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Self-driven learner with ability to follow through
· Ability to travel several times a year for annual planning meeting, organizational gatherings and training as needed.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
· Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent combination of education and experience required
· Five years of software development required
· Full stack development experience required
This job description is subject to change at any time.
The Alliance for a Healthier Generation is proud to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.