For more than a decade, the Alliance for a Healthier Generation has worked to empower kids to develop lifelong, healthy habits, by ensuring the environments that surround them provide and promote good health. The Alliance, founded by the American Heart Association and Clinton Foundation, operates as an independent 501c3 non-profit organization guided by its own Board of Directors. As one of the nation’s largest children’s health organizations focusing on combating childhood obesity, the Alliance utilizes the best available scientific evidence of programs, policies and practices that positively impact healthy eating and physical activity behaviors among youth. The Alliance’s current work directly impacts more than 25 million children, with a focus on low-income and minority populations who are at increased risk for poor health, obesity and other diseases. To learn more and join the movement, visit www.HealthierGeneration.org.
It is the goal of the Alliance to fill employment vacancies with the most qualified applicants, whether recruiting internally or externally. Strong consideration will be given to qualified internal candidates. All internal and external candidates must comply with application requirements.
The Senior Director of Marketing & Communications is responsible for the strategic development and implementation of national marketing campaigns, media relations strategies, cause marketing and celebrity relationships to increase organizational brand awareness, participation in organization programs and drive financial support. This position coordinates Marketing & Communications efforts closely with senior leadership, celebrity partners, media partners, corporate & philanthropic (cause) partners, strategic partners associated with core programmatic work, as well Healthier Generation’s founding organizations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Create and execute innovative marketing and brand awareness strategies to cultivate and enhance relationships with the media, corporate donors, key stakeholders, and the general public.
· Drive the strategic development and drafting of compelling messages that convey the mission, work and impact of the organization to external audiences.
· Oversee and contribute to digital content and implementation across all Healthier Generation platforms, inclusive of video, web and social media.
· Support communications needs of CEO and Senior Leaders, as well as serve as a spokesperson and lead point person on national media opportunities—both proactive and reactive.
· Direct all philanthropic branding campaigns – conceptualize and support creative for e-giving and other revenue generating campaign work, as well as ensuring consistent positioning of the brand as a relevant cause to core audience groups.
· Conceptualize, pitch and managing cause marketing partnership ideas through outreach to corporate/media VPs & CMOs, as well as in coordination with Development team.
· Actively engage, cultivate, and manage media partnerships to ensure coverage surrounding Healthier Generation programs, special events, public announcements, and other thought leadership projects – especially for Business Sector programmatic work.
· Manage critical communications activities and partnerships relating to Healthier Generation’s industry agreements (i.e. McDonald’s, American Beverage Association)
· Source and manage the use of external resources (e.g., public relations firms, advertising agencies, digital media experts, designers, etc.)
· Monitor and track media impressions for Healthier Generation initiatives, and report successes to internal audiences, senior leadership, as well as external partners.
· Serve as liaison to the American Heart Association and Clinton Foundation senior leadership, communications and marketing departments to create and execute co-branded marketing and communications opportunities.
· Contribute to funder and partner stewardship strategies, in collaboration with Development leadership.
· Supervise, coach and guide the work of assigned staff.
· Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· Demonstrated ability to creatively apply conventional and unconventional marketing strategies to further organizational goals.
· Strategic thinking and planning relative to branding, Marketing & Communications.
· Positive, can-do team player brimming with ideas; proactive leader with courage to try new things
· Mature, credible, and comfortable in dealing with senior company and media executives
· Excellent ability to prioritize, organize and manage details
· Demonstrated proficiency in media writing and editing for a variety of diverse audiences
· Project management experience, including managing multiple projects at one time
· Understanding of digital marketing and digital content principles
· Required frequent travel by car or plane up to 30% of the time.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
· Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, marketing or equivalent education and/or experience required
· Master’s degree in communication, public relations or marketing preferred
· Minimum of 10 years of experience in public relations, marketing, and advertising, 5-7 years’ experience in personnel management
· Experience in creating and executing strategic marketing and communications plans
· Experience in creating fundraising and/or cause-marketing campaigns
This job description is subject to change at any time.
The Alliance for a Healthier Generation is committed to Equal Employment Opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.